Sunday, March 05, 2006

RIP, Harry Browne

There's a lot not to like about Libertarianism.

There's just some folks who not only can't take care of themselves and rend the heart when they botch their lives, over and over again; they also ruin the lives of those around them.

Ther's also a small but highly effective minority of folks who just plain run amok; the uninsured driver, the drug users who scatter toxic waste left and right as they make their evil brew, and the persistant driving drunk, among many others. Visualize the mushroom clouds we'd see if plutonium, uranium and thorium were not regulated.

That being said, I admired Harry Browne, the 1996 & 2000 Libertarian candidate for the presidency.

"I hate death." Dryly, he continued, "If I were president, I would outlaw death. And just like every other law, Congress would be exempt."


Tonight, I learned of his demise. Please, just read his Principles of Government and tell me he wasn't an unsung genius.

No comments: