Friday, November 26, 2004

Fred Meyer and meat weight fraud

To:
Josh Nelson , Transaction verification staff, Measurement Standards Division
George Shefcheck , Measurement Standards Division Administrator
Katy Coba , Director, Oregon Department of Agriculture
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:29:29 -0800
Subject: Fred Meyer Meat Fraud

Dear Sirs and Ms:

From the Seattle P-I story:

"Oregon officials said yesterday that they did not have enough resources to pursue the allegations against Fred Meyer."

Why isn't defrauding the public on such a basic commodity as meat worthy of Oregon's resources?

"After the incident, Galego told his attorneys, he tried to get the company to change its overall practices. In 2002, Oregon again cited Fred Meyer for charging customers for tare weight. Oregon officials were "assured by Fred Meyer that these problems would be addressed and corrected," said John Moore, one of the Oregon agricultural officials who inspected Fred Meyer stores at that time."

I'd sure like to know what Oregon will do to asure that my family isn't defrauded on meat purchases in the future. I'd like not to have to start taking my own scale to the market with me.

Sincerly yours,

John Bartley, K7AAY
http://clackablog.blogspot.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:19:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: confirmation of Fred Meyer Meat Fraud

Thank you for sharing your ideas and concerns. I believe citizen input is vital to a strong and healthy society and I urge your continued involvement. Should your comments require an additional response, appropriate staff will contact you. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
Theodore R. Kulongoski
Governor

No comments: